Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Image of The Day, October 24, 2017

My image of the day for October 24th is an aerial image of the sunrise at the Grand Prismatic Spring, Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming. The image was captured by Jasen Todorov from a airplane, and reveals the largest thermal basin in the Yellowstone  National Park. I chose this image because I am very fascinated with the Yellowstone region, and because I was taken aback by the beauty of the park when I visited with my family. The rainbow colors are caused by pigmented micro bacteria living in the mineral rich thermal water. The clouds above create a beautiful contrast with the water below, which can not be seen from the ground. Although you are able to walk around parts of the basin, it is impossible to get an overall view of the area unless you are in the air. It can also be very dangerous to go off of the guided paths, due to how unstable the grounds that lie above the active volcano are

No comments:

Post a Comment